Saturday 27 December 2014

"Our Skin Is A Problem' Nobody Wants To Marry Us, Employers Reject Us" – Albinos

He was barely one year old when his parents neglected him and parted ways after a serious fight, simply because he was an albino, a rare breed that was contrary to what they had both expected.

Forty years after, Mr. Abdullahi Obafemi, has yet to recover from the painful knowledge that his parents abandoned him. They tossed him between each other until his grandmother, who was living in northern Nigeria, took over his custody.

Obafemi is still haunted by his history, the humiliation and rejection he continues to suffer from the public daily.


    “I am my parents’ only child. I learnt their marriage ended abruptly the moment my mother gave birth to me as an albino. In fact, I learnt my mother screamed, Eh! Afin ni mo bi (Ha, I gave birth to an albino) when she saw me.

    “While they were busy denying me and fighting over who would take care of me, my grandmother took me away from them,” Obafemi said with a note of sadness.


Growing up was also not easy for Obafemi as he helplessly endured the constant discrimination meted against people like him.

Although albinos are no strange beings as they only lack the pigment that gives colouration to the skin and body parts, called melanin, they are usually discriminated against.

Apart from their skin and brown hair, many albinos suffer from short sight vision, thus, they usually have challenge with seeing objects, whether far or near.

Obafemi recalled his tough experience in school. His bad sight affected his learning in school even when he sat in front of the class.

    He said, “I wasn’t seeing things clearly and I couldn’t afford to buy reading glasses. I had to rely on my classmates so I could copy from their notes but they often treated me with disdain. Nobody wanted to move close to an albino.

    “Thank God I was brilliant, it was when they saw that I was very good that they came close to me, not because they liked me but they knew I would always solve questions for them so they could pass.”


Despite the resilience and hard work that saw Obafemi through school, getting a good job has remained an elusive desire. He was rejected, abused and humiliated everywhere he looked for job because of his albinism.

Obafemi studied Building Technology at the Yaba College of Technology, Lagos.

    “The pains, humiliation and rejection I went through before I could graduate are things I don’t like to remember. It is now more painful that nobody wants to employ me because of my skin and some employers even make jest of me.

READ FULL STORY HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting this blog.
Get updates via;
BBM: 7F41F298