Friday 16 January 2015

Why I Don't Support Buhari Or Jonathan — Seun Kuti Opens Up

Son of the Afro Beat legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Seun Kuti, who opens up on his take on Jonathan, Buhari, his family and his dog,in an interview with Tribune,when asked why he has not been speaking up unlike some years back when your voice would have been heard every where. Does your silence mean you are comfortable with the situation? he said;

No, I am not. I have realised that it is time for me to do more and talk less. What is my talking going to change right now? The campaigns have started. The presidential election is a few weeks away and both candidates are preaching their plans to better the lot of the citizens.

 I am not supporting any candidate because none of them represents my own aspirations for Nigeria. I look at Jonathan and Buhari; I don’t believe that they can offer me a Nigeria that I want. I am less concerned about their ideologies for Nigeria. What concerns me the most is that we waste people’s potentialities. None of them is talking about the real issues that affect us. We don’t have an effective emergency system that can come in handy when there is an emergency situation, unlike what is obtainable in other climes. This kind of first aid health care system will create more jobs in each of the 774 local governments areas in Nigeria. None of them will talk about that because they are not ready to work.

They would prefer to serve meals to pupils in public schools; these are all superficial things. What will it cost the government to strenghten the security agencies and fight corruption to a halt? These are the kinds of development Nigerans crave for. If you throw one politician in jail there are another 10 corrupt politicians waiting to take his job. In this 20th century, our president is showing train all over the social media. Is this the kind of development we are talking about in 2015? This doesn’t translate to anything. They keep promising us that things will get better. Forty years ago, Martin Luther King, wrote a book entitled: “Why we cannot wait”. I implore young Nigerians to read the book and take those incidents he mentioned seriously so that they can know why we cannot wait.

 We cannot wait for your lame policies. It is what these people make from the policies that they will use to employ us; which is totally uncalled for. This is the same thing we have been fed with since 1980 and it has never come to reality. From structural adjustment programme to Vision 2000 to 2010 to 2020 supported with seven point transformation agenda. These are nothing but lies. My take is that we, especially young Africans, should realise that this is the time we have to do something about our future he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting this blog.
Get updates via;
BBM: 7F41F298